Hello Playmates,
Di and I have reopened the Playground now that National Mourning has ended, so there's a new challenge for you to play along with at the SNIPPETS PLAYGROUND, with yours truly hosting until 11am on 1st October.
I made a pink and purple birthday card for someone special.
I started by adding the gelli-print snippet to the left hand side of the card front. Next, I stencilled on the flowers and dots. Then I die-cut the butterfly from another snippet of the same gelli print, but, when I placed it on the card front (before sticking it down) I saw that it got lost in the stencilled background.
So, in order to make the butterfly stand out, I brushed pink and purple ink though the negative piece of card left over from die-cutting the butterfly! After that, I glued the butterfly die-cut over the top and doodled inside the lines.
Finally, I drew all around the butterfly in pencil and smudged it with a paper stump - and that REALLY lifted the whole thing - so I did the same to the stencilled dots! I also used a ruler to add lines at the edge of the left hand border.
- SNIPPETS: Gelli print for the right hand strip and for the die-cut butterfly
- SAKURA fine liner pen to doodle in and around the butterfly; the stencilled dots and the left hand edge.
- PENCIL & PAPER STUMP: to make the butterfly and the dots pop!
- DISTRESS OXIDE INKS: Kitsch Flamingo; Picked Raspberry & Wilted Violet
- STENCILS: Doodle Daisies by Zinksi Art from Funky Fossil, plus the negative of the die-cut butterfly.
- DIES: Winnie & Walter Butterfly - or is it Concord & 9th? I can't remember!
- SENTIMENT by Clearly Besotted (2 separate stamps)
Happy crafting!

This is really such a pretty card Sarn and the colours are gorgeous and love the gelli print down the left hand side, and the stencilled flowers and dots make a great background to the beautiful butterfly. x
ReplyDeleteVery pretty colours and I love the butterfly.
ReplyDeleteI still feel as if I'm in mourning. What a day, yesterday.
And very special it is as well Sarn with that beautiful Butterfly.
ReplyDeleteB x
What a feast for the eyes it is too ... and in shades of my fave colour - smashing make matey
ReplyDeleteHappy Wednesday to you
Kathyk
Wow that’s a very special card indeed! Love all the detail to make it fly off against the background xxx
ReplyDeleteA brilliant use of some of your gel printed snippets, enhanced by the extra doodles
ReplyDeleteThis is gorgeous, and great choice of colors.
ReplyDeleteSo pretty Sarn is your card l love your butterfly and the added dots great background too, l have just entered the playground nice to see it open again after such a sad time x
ReplyDeleteWhat a pretty card Sarn! I love reading about your process and how you changed various things you weren't happy with. The result is beautiful! Hugs, Vicky xxx
ReplyDeleteThis is absolutely gorgeous and I love the sparkly colors!
ReplyDeleteTotally forgot to come over here after I saw this pretty card in the playground - doh.
ReplyDeleteGlad I did as your pencil shading and smudging sounds like a good idea and looks so effective.
This is so pretty Sarn, looks so CAS at first sight but lots of lovely detail the more you look at it 😀
ReplyDeletePauline x
So pretty! I love the idea of shadowing. It really makes the image pop off the card.
ReplyDeleteIt's so pretty and great use of that gelli print snippet. I always start with a large piece so must try using smaller bits. Great tips all round really! Thank you. x
ReplyDelete