This is a photo heavy post, so you may wish to grab a cuppa!
Today, I thought I'd share the different incarnations of an art journal page I painted recently. It went through several repaints until I was happy!
The FINISHED page looks like this:
To start with, I painted over the top of a very busy blue background on a page in my art journal that needed finishing off.
![]() |
| 1. Painted three orange ovals for flower heads. |
![]() |
| 2. Next, I added green leaves and stems and some orange paintbrush dabs top left & bottom right. |
![]() |
| 3. Hated the leaves & stems at this point, but carried on regardless and started adding the black background. |
![]() |
| 4. Decided to outline the flowers, leaves & stems & add black stamen dots - which made everything look WORSE! Aaargh! |
![]() |
| 5. Decided MORE black & white blocks of colour would be a good idea! I also painted out the black outlines, lost a few leaves and thinned the stalks down. |
![]() |
| 6. Wasn't happy with the look of the flower heads, so repainted them in orange with a pink swirl and left everything to dry. |
![]() |
| 7. Once dry, I used a white Posca pen to add swirls and dots. At last . . . I was HAPPY with my page! You can still see a little bit of the original blue page behind the stripes! |
The point of me sharing these photo's with you is to show that, even when an art journal page goes horribly wrong - as I thought mine had at Photo 4 particularly - if you carry on adding paint, it can sometimes work out!
Alternatively, you can always paint over the whole page in opaque paint, then go and lie down in a darkened room while it dries and you have a rethink! LOL !







:D Mi è piaciuto moltissimo vedere tutta la storia della tua pagina Sarn! Anche io ho spesso ripensamenti e alla fine quello che avevo progettato scompare completamente sotto le modifiche, ma l'importante è essere soddisfatti! Adoro i tuoi fiori, che bell'effetto hai ottenuto con la penna UniPosca bianca e le sfumature rosa!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing this journal page. It was so interesting to see how it progressed through various stages. The finished result just highlights how important it is to persevere when all seems hopeless. I'd have probably ditched it at pic 4 and taken myself off for a lie down and a strong coffee 🤣🤣. I've never launched into journalling but often some of my cards go through similar 'moments' but thankfully not too much actually gets binned.
ReplyDeleteBeautifully done Sarn.
ReplyDeleteB x
Amazing progression Sarn to the finished page - love all the steps and stages and the finished result is fab!!
ReplyDeletePauline xx
Clearly it was a process to get to the look you wanted, but it was worth the effort as this turned out to be a lovely journal page. Well done!
ReplyDeleteIt's a bit like life Sarn! Things don't always go the way we want but we keep going and change things up and achieve some beautiful things on the way :) Love the page you ended up with. Hugs, Vicky xxx
ReplyDeleteIt turned out beautifully Sarn. But I also love the parts that you didn't. What a fun project/page!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing. I sometimes think I have lost the plot when this happens to me. It turned out a little bit CRM with the geometrics at the bottom too.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing Sarn, so interesting to see the stages and how you changed the look, awesome! Xxx
ReplyDeleteOH! WOW! Sarn, thank you for the progressive photos, I think I would have given up and said it wasn't working, just goes to show, percyveerence works. x
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely beautiful Sarn and the tutoral as you have completed is great that you shared its gorgeous x
ReplyDeleteLoving the finished article and how brave of you to keep going, at several points I think I might have happily stepped away and called it done but the end result IS terrific matey
ReplyDeleteSorry to be so late visiting
Kathyk